Thursday, November 24

Habitrot 5K

Some might want to accuse me of running on Thanksgiving morning only as a cover for otherwise gluttonous behavior for the rest of the day. It is not true. I promise. It just sort of looks like that. OK. Well, it really, really looks like that. But, I promise, that's not the only reason. I've got proof.

First, there is the cause. I run on Thanksgiving morning because the Habitrot 5K is a benefit for the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity, a great community development organization.

Second, there is the fellowship. I got a chance to visit with all kinds of folks at the race. And that is one of the things I love most about running: the incredibly encouraging running community that overlaps with the wonderfully gracious covenant community. I paced with my good friend John every step of the way--until he broke free of my lamentably slow pace in the final two-tenths of a mile. His daughter-in-law, Kelly, a former student of mine, finished just behind us. His son Eric (Kelly's husband), yet another of my former students, finished way, way, way ahead of us (and like the Marine that he is, he had the gall to complain about going so slow). Grant and Maresa were there with their beautiful daughter Taylor. Todd, Mark, Lesley, Tom, Mike, Susan, and a host of others were there too. So, it was almost like a Sunday School picnic--only with a lot more huffing, puffing, and sweating. I looked everywhere for my running conscience, barometer, and provocateur, Dave, but I think he may have run the bigger Boulevard Bolt across town (his race attracted about 7,000 intrepid souls while ours had around 1,000).

Finally, there is the sheer joy of running (or jogging, or trotting, or limping, or whatever it was that I was doing) on a beautiful sun-shiny day--even if it was a bit cool and blustery at times.

So see, I didn't just run so that I could have two helpings of fried turkey, three helpings of dressing and gravy, two of homemade cranberry sauce, and obscene piles of all the other fixings--to say nothing of the two slices of pie (one of pecan and one of pumpkin). No, really.