Friday, March 3

Consistency

Consistency, consistency, consistency. According to running guru Jeff Galloway, consistency is the most critical element in marathon training. Day after day, week after week, and month after month, it is essential that a runner remain consistent in his or her training--getting in the four or five miles at least four times during the week in addition to one long run.

Well, if that is the case, then my inconsistency over the past three months is not a good sign. My work schedule has been very intense. This week for instance, I was able to get a quick four-miler in on Tuesday afternoon and a three-miler in yesterday afternoon. Today, I am hoping I can log some treadmill time--I am in a hotel in Knoxville preparing to speak at a fundraising banquet tonight.

Obviously, that is hardly the kind of consistency I need to do maintain my running fitness but it is particularly woeful in light of the fact that my next half marathon is in two weeks and my next full marathon is just eight weeks away. Yikes. I've got to find a way to get some road work in. Some serious road work. Some serious and consistent road work.