Thursday, September 8

No Need for Speed

I have never been too terribly concerned about speed. I've always been happy just to be able to run. When I first started running (just about 26 months ago--not that I'm counting), I was barely able to make it from one mailbox to the next. The thought of making it from one mile to the next hardly even crossed my mind. So, when I began to run 5K races and then half marathons and finally marathons, I was thrilled just to have made it from start to finish in an upright position.

But a few weeks ago, I realized that I'd really gotten myself into a rut. I was wanting to improve--and in order to do that, I was going to have to start doing some speed drills. Well, today I did. I started. Ouch!

I got in my regular 5K training run, but instead of a nice slow jog, I ran intervals up a particularly nasty hill just around the corner from my Tuesday and Thursday route. Wow! I only did five half mile climbs and downhill recoveries--but, boy oh boy were they ever tough. Afterward, I went to the Y to attempt a few circuits around the gym--my efforts were admittedly feeble. But, hey, it's a start! I'm quite certain that I'll never be fast--but, even a little improvement will be gratifying.