Monday, August 7

Nasty, Brutish, and Short

I can't imagine how I could possibly squeeze in more training time than I already am. It seems as if I steal every available minute to either run or ride--or perhaps even trudge along on the elliptical. And still, I am only doing about half of the miles that I am supposed to be doing (according to a fairly standard marathon training schedule). How do people do this? And how do they keep the quality and pace up?

Maybe it is my age. Maybe it is my stage. I don't know. But, I am a lot slower and a lot more lethargic than I thought I would be this far along in my training. My workouts seem to be a bit like the Malthusian and Utilitarian vision of everyday life as articulated by Thomas Hobbes: "nasty, brutish, and short."

Early yesterday morning before church, I got in a quick three-miles. I was still very sore from all the biking I did on Saturday. So, I was even slower than ususal. Then, last night I ran a little one-mile warm down. Oy veh! Was it ever stiff and creaky. The decrepitude continued this morning when I slogged through a five-miler at a snail's pace.

I'll try to run another couple of miles this afternoon, but this is getting harder and more complicated rather than easier and simpler. Nasty, brutish, and short, indeed!