Tuesday, September 19

2 Down, 48 to Go

It was raining in Memphis yesterday morning as 18 runners lined up with Dean Karnazes in his quest to run 50 marathons in 50 days in all 50 states. I have to confess, I got caught up in the excitement of the moment. With the Endurance 50, we had the opportunity to do something historic. Plus, I wanted to have the opportunity to tell Karnazes about the Uttermost project we were going to undertake the next week. So, despite lingering Bronchitis, I ran. We were soon drenched, but altogether delighted. One runner dropped out at about 5 miles due to the blistering pace of just over 8 minute miles. Four of the 18 dropped out at the half-way point (me included). The rest finished with Karnazes at about 4 hours and19 minutes (they must have slowed down a great deal during the second half, thank goodness). I have to say, it was one of the most fun things I have ever been a part of--I just wish I could have done the whole thing.