Friday, March 3

The Rubber Chicken Circuit

I travel. A lot. I speak at banquets, conferences, meetings, and conventions. Lots of them. Both the travel and the banquets, conferences, meetings, and conventions can wreck havoc on training. I'm not sure there is a lot that can be done about some of the things that road warriors have to face--but, I've learned to take at least a few precautions. First, I try never to actually eat the rubber chickens--I'll eat the salad, the veggies, and pick at everything else. Next, I always try to take advantage of the hotel workout rooms--even if they are really poorly equpped. Finally, I try my best to steer clear of the snacking, late night TV, and the lack of rest that life on the road seems to foist upon us at every turn.

So tonight, I ran three miles on the really shoddy treadmill in the hotel before I went out to speak at the banquet. I only poked around at the dinner. And then got back to the hotel as soon as I could to get a full night's sleep.

It is not exactly the sort of regimen that Deana Kastor or Alan Culpepper would approve of--but it is at least doable. So, it is what I'm gonna continue to do. Rubber chickens or no.